nbmtLINK - National Bone Marrow Transplant Link
Home  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use

Give Today!
About nbmtLINK
Common Questions
Resources and Support
News and Events
Make a Contribution
Web Links
Stay Informed! Sign up for our monthly e-nnouncements Get the latest news on programs for BMT patients, survivors, and caregivers.
nbmtLINK Online Library - Search for specific, relevant and current information about bone marrow/stem cell transplant

Fax 248-358-1889
20411 W. 12 Mile Rd.
Suite 108
Southfield, MI

Common Questions

How much does a transplant typically cost? And how will I pay for all of this?

Check your insurance coverage early. The transplant center will start the insurance approval process by sending your health insurer a letter requesting pre-approval of your treatment. The insurance company may request a complete history of your physical condition, a copy of the treatment protocol, the hospital’s informed consent document, your laboratory and x-ray results, and your physician’s recorded treatment recommendation. Make certain that these materials are sent out promptly, if requested.

Get a copy of your insurance policy if you don’t have one. If you are insured through work, your employer is required to provide you with a copy of your policy. Review it carefully to determine what is covered and what is excluded. If you are uncertain about your coverage, ask your medical provider or insurance
representative to explain it. You will want to determine if donor searches and cost for collection of cells are covered. Sometimes it is not specifically stated in a policy. Clinical trials may or may not be covered by insurance. It is important to check with the insurance company prior to entering a clinical trial.

If your insurance company rejects coverage of the stem cell procedure, ask for a written explanation. Find out how to appeal this denial. Whether there is an appeal process or not, ask your doctor or hospital to formally request coverage
again. Many times, an insurer will reverse its position, especially if there is a second reviewer or if you are undergoing this treatment as part of an approved clinical trial. Be sure to comply with the time requirements. Ask for the appeal in writing and send it certified mail, with return receipt requested. See if your
doctor will supply medical information that supports the treatment and include it with the appeal.

If there is notice of an appeal, and you cannot get a quick reversal, continue to follow the appeal process. At this point, your doctor and transplant center should also be providing the insurer with scientific support information and include a
listing of other institutions now providing this procedure. Be persistent. The “paper trail” between your transplant center and your health insurer may become very important if coverage is denied. Organize your own paper trail file.

If your health insurance is paid through your employer, ask if they can and will make efforts to help. Sometimes the employer may pay for treatment rather than work with the insurer. At other times, the employer can put pressure on the insurer, particularly if the employer spends a lot on health benefit coverage.

At some point, it may be advisable to consult an attorney. The attorney will require information to determine if the insurer is being discriminating in its policies. It is possible in some areas that laws protecting disabled persons may apply. The definition of who is disabled or handicapped could cover the patient in
some cases. Should you require the help of an attorney, consult one who specializes in insurance denials.

Individuals at insurance companies generally want to assist you. Case managers, for example, can be very helpful to patients. Often medical directors, who are physicians, make the decisions about what would be the best care. Approaching
them as people who want to help is the best way to begin.

There are also government agencies, at the federal level, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and at the state level, such as the Commission on Human Rights, which are designed to help the average citizen. These agencies are “user-friendly,” which means that you can personally go to the
agency and speak to an investigator about your problem. Sometimes they might even be willing to file suit for you.

Medicare and Medicaid
If you are a Medicare or Medicaid patient, contact the treatment center’s social worker or patient financial services office to discuss your options. They will work with you to help you understand what coverage is offered. If you are denied coverage, ask to be informed of your appeal rights. You have the right to appeal the denial of a service that is medically necessary. If you have Medicare, make sure the transplant is
conducted in a Medicare-friendly facility. Call 800-MEDICARE if you have questions about your coverage.

Financial Aid
There are some places you can turn to for help with transplant expenses. While there are no agencies or organizations that will absorb the full cost of a transplant, some relief is possible. Ask a social worker at your treatment center for the names of those that you might contact. Check with nonprofit organizations affiliated with your disease. Make applications for reimbursement for mileage, lodging and even some prescriptions.

If the transplant is for a minor child, contact your state department of health. Many states have Children’s Health Care Services, which provide substantial financial aid or insurance coverage, regardless of your income. Sometimes monthly supplemental payments might be required from you.

If insurance coverage is minimal for your transplant, you may need to raise funds to help pay for your treatment. It is important to begin fundraising efforts early. There are several nonprofit organizations that specialize in helping patients raise funds. These organizations help arrange fundraisers and maintain accounts to which tax-deductible contributions can be
made on a patient’s behalf. Another benefit of working with such groups is that they may provide encouragement and emotional support. Also, check with civic, service, or religious groups for help.

Please call the Link at 1-800-LINK-BMT (800-546-5268) or e-mail us for more information.

Back to Common Questions.


Happy 2nd Birthday! We want to recognize survivors on the date of their transplant anniversary
View Informative Webcasts: Coping with Chronic Graft vs. Host Disease in Adults and Children; Impact of Cancer & BMT on Spouse-Caregivers

  About nmbtLINK | Common Questions | Resources and Support | News and Events
Make a Contribution | Web Links | nbmtLINK Online Library | nbmtLINK Webcasts
  | E-mail